Wednesday, August 13, 2014

On Our Way

Today as we board a plane to the other side of the ocean we will begin the journey to the culmination of this almost 2 year adoption process.  Words cannot begin to express the emotions we each are feeling.  I am not the same person I was on September 18, 2012 when we sent our first application to Holt International.  God has stretched me and changed me, buffed away some rough edges, pointed out some areas that need work and taught me to trust in ways I have never trusted before. 

This evening we will be on our way to our youngest daughter.  A child we have longed for over the past 4 years.  A precious little girl whom we have prayed for and fallen deeply in love with. 

I cannot help but think of her birth family today.  A mama and a daddy who for whatever reason knew they were unable to care for our girl and made a tremendous sacrifice.  I wish we could meet them.  I wish we could tell them that we love their child.  That we will always try to do what is right for her.  That she will be valued and cherished.  We pray for them often, knowing nothing of their circumstances, but thankful that they chose life for their daughter so that she can now become our daughter. 

As I write this my heart breaks for our daughter.  As much as we long to bring her home we know that she is losing much - her birth country, birth family, foster family, language and more.  She will gain much as well but we do not want to overlook her loss.  Her loss is our gain.  She will grieve and we will grieve with her.  She will find joy and we will be joyful with her. 

So today as we board the plane that will bring us to our daughter my heart is a little heavy.  Of course we are excited and so very thankful but this joyous moment in our hearts is possibly at the expense of great sorrow for others. 

We are coming Little A.  We are coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment